{ Inspiration }          { Fashion }          { Green[er] }          { DIY }          { Tips }          { Our Wedding }

Thursday, January 6, 2011

DIY: Sourcing the "Perfect" Paper

It seems that it's never too early to start looking for that perfect "paper" for your wedding. Searches can be complicated by wanting specific colors or materials.

Where are you finding papers for your wedding? Locally or online?

With our wedding I researched handmade and eco-friendly papers. If you're doing your paper goods (save the dates, invitations, programs, table numbers, and so on) yourself, the earlier you start the better your options and lower the total cost. You need to consider the following in lead time:

Contacting Vendors +
Ordering Samples + Shipment of Samples +
Ordering of Chosen Paper + Shipment of Paper +
Production

We obtained sample books and/or sample sheets from the following vendors:
We ordered accent papers from Creative Papers Online - variety of texture and wide array of colors - and printer-friendly insert sheets and cover stock from EcoPaper.com. (While we loved the papers from Under the Sun the papers and colors we wanted were out of stock. I wanted a consistent paper for all of our paper goods so we didn't buy from them for our wedding.)

I forget how I discovered Paper Mojo but by the time I did it was too close to our wedding to order samples (individual 8.5"x11" sheets or 3"x5" sets). Also we would have missed out on a sale. They had eco-friendly paper (27"x38") in our wedding colors for $1.50 to $2.25 a sheet (normally $3.59 and up). I'd recommend taking advantage of their custom cutting service (we didn't and ended up scrambling to get the paper cut ourselves). Inspired by the DIY Votive Vellum Wrapper I saw on Ruffled, I used a sheet of our striped purple paper to wrap mason jars that lined the aisle for Mooflyfoof and EdRabbit's wedding.
DSC_0308
Photography Credit: Andy Rose NY via Flickr
For Blanchisserie Americain (our box truck at the Lost Horizon Night Market) we had a compressed time frame between concept and execution. I quickly realized that in a pinch the paper options one finds at Jo-Ann Fabrics are dismal (nothing is eco-friendly) and pricey (8.5"x11" sheets were about $1). The holiday season may have contributed to the lack of selection.

Over the holidays, Under the Sun offered customers $10 off orders of $20 or more. Yesterday my paper arrived (8 business days between the Sunday I ordered on and delivery). 

I love how the colors and textures go together. Curious as to what I'm planning? Stay tuned.

By the way, Paper Mojo has some phenomenal papers on clearance right now. My favorite that I scored during the last sale is Dew Drop Melody on Banana Paper. I got it in parchment and smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...