{ Inspiration }          { Fashion }          { Green[er] }          { DIY }          { Tips }          { Our Wedding }

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Another Take: The Dress Shot


We're all familiar with that stock dress shot. You know the one I'm talking about - where the dress is hung from a fan or chandelier with light streaming through from behind.
Photography Credit: bec+fo via Whimsical Wonderland Weddings

karina steve sunshine coast wedding007 Karina and Steve
Photography Credit: Kariz Matik Photography via Polka Dot Bride

Other than overall shape little can be seen of the actual dress.In a magazine, I immediately flip the page. On a blog I scroll past scanning the provided text for a clue to what's special about this particular dress.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that brides skip the dress shot. I'm just asking for a little more creativity. A background that draws out or highlights features of the dress. Say like these two shots. The first is a shot of a dress in front of a window - but look at all that detail!

Hanging-Wedding-Gown-in-Window

DSC 74831 e1282759188502
Photography Credit: Cathie of BG Productions via Emmaline Bride

Creativity does exist - it just seems to be in short supply. Although when unleashed, an unexpected draping or featured detail catches me mid-scroll and has me slamming on the brakes. For example, this reclining dress.

Photography Credit: Maranda of Evoke Images via Glamour and Grace

Without this image, I wouldn't have read that the bride's mother designed and made the dress.

Have you seen dress shots that take your breath away? Did your photographer do something unconventional for your dress shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...